Basalt SPO has announced the availability of Alt Workstation K 10 a new operating system. It is designed to be used both at home and in corporate environments.
The software platform Alt Workstation K 10 is built upon Linux using the KDE Plasma graphic environment. It is similar in style to Windows and allows for easy adaptation to the operating system. The OS distribution kit contains all necessary applications to work on the Internet. It also includes office documents in various formats, archives, and media files. Corporate users have the option to integrate the system into Active Directory infrastructure and support for group policy. The platform is included in the register of Russian program of the Ministry of Digital Development of Russia. This allows it to be used in projects related to software import substitution.
What’s New in Alt Workstation K OS 10
- The current Linux 5.15 LTS kernel is the basis of the operating system (long-term support). Many new features were added during the transition to the new kernel. The new kernel includes improvements in work with the Intel 12th generation Alder Lake processors, AMD video cards based upon the RDNA 2 architecture have been supported, and a driver for the NTFS File System (increased speed of data transfer among file systems). Optimized use of the Linux classic file system ext4 and improved performance with the Btrfs system.
- New graphical interface. KDE Plasma 5.23 has support for Wayland graphics. This allows you to use your tablet computer. Alt Workstation K 10 can support four generations of drivers for NVIDIA 390, 340 and 470 series graphics processors. The required driver version will be automatically installed when you install the OS on a NVIDIA graphics card-equipped computer.
- Modified the Secure Boot signature scheme. Secure Boot can still be disabled with the distribution.
- New templates were added to improve the functionality of group policies. You can manage Active Directory group policies and domains using the ADMC development tool Basalt SPO.
- Added a package containing domestic encryption root certificates.
- Packages include packages to support two factor authentication using hardware tokens (Rutoken JaCarta, ESMART).
- ViPNet, Yandex.Browser, 1C:Enterprise and ViPNet are some of the additional packages available for domestic software installation. The complete Alt OS compatibility list can be found on the Basalt SPO website (both those that require additional packages and those that do not).
- Increased support for OKI Brother, Epson, and Epson printers, as well as scanners.
- For third-party applications that are in flatpak format, the OS Application Center now has support for Flathub. You can use the software you need without putting the system at risk.
- Added support for SNAP apps
- You can use the following utilities: clinfo (to find information about OpenCL acceleration status), Glxinfo, and vulkan-tools to check 3D acceleration settings.
- You can now take screenshots during installation.
- Secure system update. Reboot is recommended when updates are displayed.
- It includes the Qt 5.15 cross platform long term support framework (LTS). It includes many new features. The graphics part has undergone the biggest changes, affecting, in particular support for three-dimensional graphic.
For the convenience of users, Basalt SPO specialists have also significantly updated the packages.altlinux.org portal with information about software packages available for installation into the operating system.
“We are improving the Alt Workstation K 10 OS, ensuring its effectiveness for both home and professional use, —Anton Farygin is the Deputy General Director of Basalt SPO. — This is crucial today. Sanctions left millions of Russian companies and private users without foreign system makers. We have developed a solution to this problem, providing Russian users with a simple and functional operating system that is familiar to both users and administrators. Alt Workstation K’s tenth release was designed with usability in mind. We also focused on interface design and integration into enterprise IT infrastructure.
The Alt Workstation K 10 OS installation image can be downloaded from the Basalt SPO Website. You can then evaluate the listed innovations. The operating system is free for home use. However, organizations will need to purchase licenses. Users will also receive a selection of desktop backgrounds along with the platform. — Photographic landscapes in Russia These photos by Russian photographers were awarded the 35AWARDS, an international award given by 35photo.pro.
Two types of LiveCD modes are still available. The first is that the installation image contains the option to boot a “live” system – you can test the compatibility of the OS with the user’s equipment or use the system recovery utilities. The second is that a “live” system is placed on a separate image, with which you can work without installing it on a hard disk, but with the ability to save data.
All users who purchased Alt Workstation K-9 after 09/01/2021 get an upgrade for 10% of Alt Workstation K 10. All users who have purchased Alt Workstation annual support (standard or extended) are eligible for the same upgrade. It is possible to upgrade technical support from version 9.2 up to 10. If you are switching from Alt Workstation K version 9, with basic support, to version 10, support must be purchased separately for your organization. Basalt SPO Sales Department (firstname.lastname@example.org), can provide detailed information about purchasing the software product.